An easy weeknight recipe that uses minimal ingredients to make a balanced meal.
(Makes 4 servings)
- 1 lb lentils
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 handful of spinach or other greens
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 pats of butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the lentils, tomato, 4 cloves of garlic, ground ginger, and 6 cups water in a large saucepan. Bring to a high simmer and cook, stirring vigorously. Lentils should become tender. After about 15 minutes, add spinach and lemon juice to the sauce pan and stir. Add in a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir.
- While spinach is wilting, mince 2 garlic cloves. Add minced garlic and butter to a saute pan. Swirl around until garlic is browned, but not burned.
- If lentils are not cooked to desired consistency, add more water. Remove lentils from heat when cooked through.
- Serve lentils in bowls. Add garlic butter sauce to top and serve warm.
- Optional add ons: fry an egg on top or serve with roasted veggies.
**Recipe adapted from Food Network