Meal prep tip: cook all your protein at once and save it in the fridge to reheat for meals. Ex: if you bought a pound or chicken breasts, Cook it all while prepping this meal and store whatYou don’t use for a quick & ready protein option throughout your week!
(Serves 8 people)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 shallot (or red onion)
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 lime
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 jalapeno or red chile (optional)
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 bag frozen corn
- 1 cup diced cherry tomato
- 2 garlic clove
- 1/2 shallot or red onion
- 1 jalapeno (optional)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 handful chopped cilantro
- Green onion, chopped (optional)
- Olive oil
- Chili powder
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt (optional)
- Corn tortillas for serving
Choose a protein source like chicken, mushroom, tofu, or shrimp.
- Mince 3-4 garlic cloves, 1 shallot, and 1/2 red onion.
- Rough chop parsley & cilantro.
- Mince jalapeño/chili for spicy option (or mango for sweet option!) — omit if you don’t like the spice
- Add the juice of 1/2 lime, 1/2 cup red wine vinegar and 1/2 olive pile into a mixing bowl.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons salt & cumin
- Mix all ingredients into a mixing bowl and combine until the herbs are soggy. Taste, adjust spices and oil as necessary. Set aside in fridge. This can also be done in a food processor.
Prep Your Tortillas
- In a hot, lightly oiled skillet, toast your corn or flour tortillas one by one. Don’t forget to flip. You could also microwave on a plate for 15 sec by covering with paper towel.
Prep Your Protein
- Season your protein with your favorite “Mexican” inspired flavors (salt, pepper, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, etc.) and cook your protein in your skillet on high heat until done. Set aside. Protein options: mushrooms, chicken, shrimp, tofu.
Street Corn Instructions
- To the same skillet in which you cooked your protein and tortillas, add corn (and oil if needed), let brown on high for 4-5 minutes.
- Add chopped/diced tomatoes (option to add minced jalapeño) to the skillet, let them sweat and begin to get soft.
- Season here with salt, pepper, cumin, other “Mexican” flavors of spices that you enjoy.
- Add minced garlic & shallot. Stir, let sweat for 4-5 minutes. Taste- adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Remove from heat.
- You can now add some chimichurri to your street corn (a tbsp or two,) or add 2 tbsp Greek yogurt to make it creamy. You could even divide your corn into 2 portions to try both!
Assemble your tacos: follow your heart! Layer the filling however you like abs enjoy. Top with extra cilantro, green onions or lime juice!
This recipe was created by Hannah Vaughn, chef and owner of The Peppered Plate! Hannah is a home cook with a passion of sharing food that’s peppered with love & intention. She aims to instill confidence into clients that want to learn the basics of meal prepping and understand how to make one meal stretch into many. Hannah is available for private cooking classes in person or livestream, meal prep services & small scale catering parties. Email her for inquiries at email@example.com and follow her Instagram here.