Tacos don’t always have to have meat – switch it up by cooking with some vegetarian protein sources! Mushrooms have protein, fiber, and antioxidants in them.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 package mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small head of cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 cup water (plus more, if needed)
- 2 cups spinach
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 5 tbsp soy sauce
- Optional toppings: peanuts, red onion, avocado, tomato, cilantro, cotija cheese
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Turn the burner on medium heat and add olive oil to a saute pan. Once hot, add in mushrooms, cabbage, and 1/2 cup water. Saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add in spinach and stir. Cook for about 5 more minutes. Cabbage should be more tender to the touch. If things are sticking to the bottom of the pan or burning, add another 1/4 cup water. Stir continuously.
- Add in garlic and ginger and stir to combine. Cook for another minute. Water should be pretty much all gone now. If there is excess water, drain in the sink before adding other liquids.
- Add in rice vinegar and soy sauce. Stir to combine. If you are adding in peanuts, add them in now (I used 1/2 cup).
- Fill flour or corn tortillas with filling.