Savory.. oatmeal? Is that even a thing? We sure think it is after creating this new savory oat bowl recipe! It’s great for those who don’t like something sweet for breakfast, those who struggle getting in fiber and / or protein, and those who want to use up random ingredients in their fridge!
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tbsp garlic powder (optional)
- 1 cup spinach
- Parmesan to taste (optional)
- 1 egg per person to fry (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add butter to a small saucepan.
- Once it’s almost fully melted, add mushrooms. Saute for a few minutes or until mushrooms have wilted a bit.
- Add water to a sauce pot, turn up the heat, and bring water to a boil.
- When water reaches a boil, add oats. Stir to combine. Turn down heat to medium to allow oats to simmer for about 4 min.
- Add garlic powder (optional) and spinach at the 4-minute mark. Stir to combine. Allow to cook for 1 more minute.
- Taste and add seasonings and toppings (salt, pepper, parmesan, and fried egg, as desired).