Protein balls are one of our favorite ways to get in protein and fiber in a real quick way! We love having these on-the-go, as a post workout snack, or as an evening treat. The protein and fiber combination keeps you full longer.
(Yields 12 balls; 1-3 balls per serving depending on how large you roll them out)
- 8 medjool dates pits removed
- ½ cup ground flax seed (or about 1/4 cup whole flax seed)
- 1 cup uncooked old fashioned oats (gluten-free if needed)
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1/2 cup almond butter (or another nut butter of choice)
- Remove pits from dates if not already removed.
- Place dates into food processor. Process on high speed until dates are somewhat of a ‘paste’ texture. You may need to use a spatula to get dates off of the side of the food processor.
- Add flax seeds and process on high speed again. If the mixture is not a paste yet or is too dry, add 1-2 tbsp of water in.
- Add remaining ingredients in. Pulse to combine. You can also combine on high speed for 2-3 seconds to make sure everything is truly combined.
- Roll dough into small balls. Refrigerate and keep for 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month.