(Yields 8 servings; 218 kcal, 35.3g carb, 4g fat, 11.2 g protein per serving)
- 1 1/2 cup lentils, any color
- 1 red or yellow pepper cut into 1-in cubes
- 2 medium russet potatoes, cubed
- 2 unpeeled carrots, cut in 1/3-in pieces
- 2 stalks celery, chopped into 1-in pieces
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (coconut aminos for GF)
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine lentils, bell pepper, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, soy sauce, and water in a large pot. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 45 minutes.
- Warm olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in ginger, turmeric, and cinnamon.
- Once stew is done cooking, add spiced oil. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with fresh baked bread or cornbread.