(Yields 6 servings; 322 kcal, 38.6 g carb, 12.3 fat, 16.6 g pro per serving)
- 1 1/2 cup red lentils (or other color)
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbs vegetable oil
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp sugar or sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add in onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Add garlic, carrot, and bell pepper and cook for an additional minute.
- Add vegetable broth or water, spices, sweetener, and lentils to the pot. Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes with lid ajar.
- Add coconut milk to the pot and stir to combine. Cook for 5 more minutes or until desired thickness is reached.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over rice, with naan, or with potatoes