(Yields 3 servings; 295 kcal, 48.3 g carb, 5.1 fat, 11.5 g pro per serving)
- 1 block extra firm tofu*
- 1/3 cup soy milk
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2/3 tsp salt
- 4 oz panko breadcrumbs or crushed cornflakes
- 4 tbsp sweet chili sauce
- 2 tbsp strained tomatoes
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Cut the block of tofu into 3 slices in the direction that will allow them to be longer than they are thick. Wrap in paper towels or a clean kitchen towel and place a heavy pan or object on top to press. Let press for half an hour.
- In a bowl, whisk together soy milk, flour, cornstarch, paprika, and salt. Set aside. In another bowl, place the breadcrumbs.
- Once tofu is done pressing, dip the slices into the flour mixture, making sure all sides are coated. Then dip into the breadcrumbs. Place breaded slices on a plate.
- Pour some olive or vegetable oil into a large fry pan, a little less than needed to cover the bottom of the pan. Fry the breaded tofu slices for 5 minutes on each side, until golden and crispy.
- In the meantime, prepare rice or other ingredients to be served. In a small bowl whisk together the sauce ingredients. Cut the fried tofu into slices and serve with sauce drizzled on top.Serve over rice with stir-fried veggies. Broccoli, cabbage, carrots, and sugar-snap peas would be great additions!
- *Tofu that has been frozen then thawed typically works best for this recipe. Tofu that has been frozen tends to hold its shape even better than refrigerated tofu, but it is up to you whether you want to freeze your tofu or not! You can freeze the tofu in preparation for this recipe, then thaw by placing in the fridge 2-3 days in advance or microwaving for 5-10 minutes from frozen.