(Yields 5 servings; 271 kcal, 40.4g carb, 6.8g fat, 12.7g pro per serving)
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked green lentils
- 3 cups low-sodium or homemade vegetable broth
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder (optional for more spice)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinse
- 1/2 cup fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup whole kernel sweet corn
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat. Once heated, add a drizzle of olive oil. Add onion and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, brown rice, and lentils to pot. Stir and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the lentils and rice are tender. Drain any excess liquid if necessary.
- Season the rice and lentils with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, and chipotle powder. Add remaining ingredients except for 1/4 cup of cheese. Stir together to combine.
- Heat the mixture until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese on top and cover with a lid. Heat on low until the cheese is melted and the mixture is bubbly, about 5-8 more minutes.
- Top with cilantro and sour cream if desired.