(Yields: 6 servings; 513 kcal, 36g fat, 24g carb, 24g pro per serving)
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 14 oz chopped, frozen broccoli (steamed or cooked in the microwave)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cup milk
- 3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp salt (+ more if desired)
- Cook the macaroni in boiling salt water according to package directions. Add the chopped broccoli about 1 minute before the macaroni is done. Drain in a colander.
- n the same saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Stir in the mustard powder, black pepper, and flour and continue cooking, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk the milk in to the flour mixture. Cook, stirring, until sauce is thick and bubbling.
- Add the cheese and continue stirring until cheese has completely melted. Add salt and add more, if desired.
- Add the drained macaroni and broccoli, and stir to combine.
- Transfer to serving dish or individual bowls.
*We recommend experimenting with other veggies like cauliflower, peas, carrots, and more!