(Yields 12 bars; 150 calories, 6g fat, 19g carbs, 6g protein per serving)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin purée, canned
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup low-fat or 1% milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mild honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups stone ground yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour OR whole wheat flour (or a mix of both!)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees and place a 9-inch cast iron skillet inside.
- Whisk together the pumpkin purée, yogurt, milk, olive oil, honey and eggs.
- Place the cornmeal in a large bowl, and sift in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix together.
- Remove pan from the oven. Add the butter. When it has melted completely, brush the sides of the pan with a pastry brush. Tip excess melted butter into batter and mix in.
- Scrape the batter into the hot pan, and return it to the oven. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until completely cooked through.
- Remove from the oven, and allow to cool in the pan for at least 25 minutes before serving.