(Yields about 16 5-oz servings of mulled wine; nutritional facts vary depending on ABV of ingredients)
- 4 (750-milliliter) bottles red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon (I used one box of wine!)
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 8 whole cloves
- 4 whole star anise pods
- 4 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
- One orange, sliced
- Garnish each mug with one cinnamon stick, one star anise, and an orange peel
- Combine all ingredients in a large slow cooker. Stir the wine, brandy, maple syrup, cloves, star anise pods, cinnamon sticks, and orange slices together.
- Cover and heat on the LOW setting until hot, about 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to warm for serving. Ladle into mugs or heatproof glasses and garnish as desired.