Add this pesto to pastas, chicken, veggies, or a salad! You can sub in nutritional yeast for the parmesan to make it vegan.
(Yields 12 servings; 122 calories, 12.5g fat, 2.9g protein, 1.5g carb)
- 4 cups basil leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- zest and juice of one lemon
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, use more as needed
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- To the bowl of a food processor a blender, add basil, garlic, walnuts, parmesan, lemon zest, lemon juice, and red pepper flakes. Pulse to break down basil.
- Add olive oil, pulsing until olive oil is blended into other ingredients and mixture forms. If pesto is too thick for your liking, add in more olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.