(Yields 4 servings; 268 calories, 14g fat, 21g carb, 16g protein per serving)
- 1 ¼ to 1 ½ pounds cucumber
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 1 medium to large onion, sliced
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Sesame seeds to top
Optional: 2 cups cooked quinoa
- Thinly slice cucumbers, preferably with a mandoline. With thick cucumbers, peel, halve lengthwise, and scoop out seeds before slicing.
- Mix vinegar, ginger, sugar and salt, and toss with cucumbers. Let stand an hour. Refrigerate if sitting out longer. Drain excess liquid just before serving.
- Put 2 tablespoons oil in a skillet. Wait a minute, then add scallops. Sear for about 2 minutes to a side, then remove to a plate. Turn heat to medium, add remaining oil, onions and turmeric. Cook until onion softens, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir onions into cucumbers, top with scallops, garnish with sesame seeds, and serve.
*Optional: Serve with 1/2 cup cooked quinoa per serving