(Yields: 12 biscuits; 281 calories, 4.9g protein, 39g carbohydrate, and 12g fat per biscuit)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 11 tbsp butter, cold & diced into tablespoon-sized chunks
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 415 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and oats in a large bowl. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients using the back of a fork. Make sure the butter is reduced to pea-sized clumps.
- Combine the milk and maple syrup in a separate bowl. Pour the mixture into the dry ingredients and continue to fold until combined.
- Place your mixture on a floured surface and pat together. Continue patting the dough until it is 1″ thick and then fold into thirds (like a letter). Continue this pattern four more times. After the fourth time, pat the dough out until it is 1″ thick and cut out rounds.
- Brush maple syrup on top and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Top with jam or butter and enjoy!