Maizītes are Latvian sandwiches that are traditionally served on rye bread, and make for a light meal or hearty snack.
(Yields: 2 breakfast sandwiches; 241 calories, 16.7g protein, 28g carbohydrates, and 6.6g fat)
- Rye bread
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese (you may also opt for goat cheese or any other spreadable cheese!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh dill
- Fresh scallions
- Other ideas: capers, lox, tuna salad, egg salad, red onion, hard boiled egg.
- Wash all of your produce, then pat dry with a kitchen towel. Slice radishes, tomatoes, and scallions thinly, and roughly chop fresh dill.
- Thinly slice your rye bread. Toast if you like.
- Top each slice with 1/4 cup of cottage cheese and spread thin.
- Top with radish, tomato, and cucumber slices, then sprinkle dill, scallions, salt and pepper to taste.