(Yields 2 small loaves with 5 slices of bread per loaf – 1 slice of bread is 140 calories, 3.3g protein, 25.3g carbohydrate, 2.7g fat)
This crowd pleaser is the type of bread that you will want to bake once per week! We recommend spreading with fig jam, dipping in olive oil, or drizzling with honey.
- 1 tbsp fast action yeast
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 2.5 cups flour (may require up to 3 cups)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh or dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp butter
- Combine yeast, sugar, & water in mixing bowl & whisk until bubbly; let sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix in 1 tbsp butter, salt, & 2 cups of flour.
- Add on a tablespoon of rosemary.
- Knead for 10 min by hand of 5 min by stand mixer until smooth & elastic; add more flour, 1/4 cup at a time is necessary
- Place oil in a bowl, put the dough in it, cover with a tea towel; let rise on the counter for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Punch down the dough & knock out all air; divide in half & let rest for five minutes.
- Spray or line a cookie sheet.
- Shape dough into two oval loaves & sprinkle remaining rosemary over the top, pressing lightly into surfaces.
- While preheating the oven to 375F, let loves rise again until doubled (~45 minutes).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes; until lightly browned.
- Brush with butter & sea salt.