(yields 6 servings -147 calories, 5g protein, 11g carbohydrate, 8g fat)
- 4 medium beets, trimmed, scrubbed, peeled, and grated on a box grater
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (and extra for topping)
- 3 radishes, trimmed, scrubbed, and grated on a box grater
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 English cucumber, peeled and grated on a box grater
- 1/2 cup kosher dill pickle juice, drained from dill pickle jar of choice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill (and extra for topping)
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup Silk or other vegan heavy whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 3/4 cup Simple Truth Organic or other vegan sour cream
- 2 cups low fat plain kefir with no added sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add grated beets and vegetable stock to a medium saucepan, and cover. Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer until the beets are tender, about 15 minutes. Add a splash of water if necessary.
- Cool your beet mixture for about 1 hour in the fridge, then combine with shredded radish, scallions, garlic, cucumber, and dill in a large bowl.
- Next, fold your whipped heavy cream and sour cream together, and whisk in the kefir, pickle juice, and lemon juice.
- Pour the kefir mixture into the beet mixture and stir to combine.
- Cover and chill for two hours before adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with scallions and fresh dill!