(yields 5 servings or peppers)
- 5 medium bell peppers (any color)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-1/4 pounds extra lean ground turkey (99%)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1-3/4 cups shredded cheddar
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 325°. Cut peppers lengthwise in half; removing the ribs and seeds. Place in a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil and coated with cooking spray.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add raw turkey, onion, garlic and seasonings over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink, approximately 6-8 minutes.
- Decrease heat to low, allowing mixture to cool slightly. Stir in tomatoes, cheese and bread crumbs.
- Fill pepper halves with turkey mixture. Sprinkle with paprika and bake, uncovered, until heated through and peppers are tender, 20-25 minutes.